Two weeks is a lot of time for some crazy adventuring already so I'll do my best to recap.
After three weeks apart and one 14 hour plane ride you can imagine what a re-unification it was for Hansen 1 (Nick) and Hansen 2(Me)!!!! It felt like a strange euphoric dream at first. We wasted no time to let the adventuring begin! After a whirlwind haze of events we found ourselves comfortable in a new home and on holiday. No joke. I arrived on a Friday evening. Met my school VP and co-teacher Saturday. Was greeted by a bajillion strangers at church Sunday (they were overjoyed to see Nick's wife was finally able to join him.) Showed up for one working day at my new school Monday. And was on holiday for a week by Tuesday. Perfect timing? I think so.
I arrived just days before Chu-seok. It's comparable to Thanksgiving in the US. Same but different.
Nick out of school + Camie off work = adventure time.
So we took a four hour bus ride to the Southern tip of Korea. A city called Busan. I'll dedicate a post to this most memorable trip later:)...
It’s now been two eventful weeks for us in Korea. I love our new life here. My world has been flipped around 180 degrees. It’s an exciting, trying, and satisfying change. I can't even imagine what the next year has in store for us considering what the past two weeks have been.
Highlights and unexpected surprises:
1. Sharing our apartment with a few pesky roommates (pictured above)- unexpected surprise.
2. Teaching at an all boys middle school-- unexpected surprise
3. Having a Korean woman fall asleep on me while riding the subway-- highlight for sure! So funny.
4. Spending the evening eating ginseng and playing miniature golf with our elderly landlords who live above us. (They don't speak any English.)-- highlight!!
5. 300 millimeters (12 inches) of rain in one storm-- unexpected surprise.
6. "Squatter" toilets-- unexpected surprise
7. Escalators for your shopping cart in a multi-level supermarket-- highlight
8. Sleeping on a small Asian-style bed built for one and a half-- unexpected surprise
9. Kimchi-- highlight
10 Watching Nick get "body-checked" daily by little old Korean women on the subway-- highlight (love you swedish)